Blogging & Posting Best Practices
Since there are so many elements to having a successful Blogging campaign, I decided to do a series on the different parts with some key steps to take for maximum performance! The intent is to simplify what can sometimes seem like an overwhelming task. Everything you put out into the digital world via a blog represents your company, product and service and serves as the voice readers and potential customers will associate with your business. That can be a lot of pressure! Fear not! We are here to walk you through the process step by step and answer any questions you have along the way.
In this post, I’ve included a check list to follow to make sure your post is actually ready to publish. At this point, it is assumed that you’ve taken the steps to identify personas and strategized on how to reach them. Confused? See Drew’s fabulous Identity Crisis post for more information on why personas are an important element to the success of your blog.
See the checklist below and let us know any questions you may have!
- Declare a keyword of focus based on the target persona. Do your research – your keyword focus should have some search around it since you’ll likely want people to find your blog post.
- Create an engaging post title with your keyword of focus toward the front if possible.
- Use the keyword of focus 1 – 3 more times in the body of the text. A good rule of thumb is don’t force it…. But once each paragraph if it looks natural is a good measure.
- If the keyword is valuable enough, consider adding it to your Tags or Blog Categories as well.
- Fill your content out to 300-500 words per entry – if you have more than that, create a blog series instead of a single post.
- Embed an image or two that help illustrate the topic at hand – these do not have to be directly relevant.
- Look at your text for hyperlink opportunities to main website marketing pages, archived blog posts or authoritative sites that support your topic.
- Assign an appropriate category. Try to avoid leaving posts as ‘uncategorized’.
- Make sure to set a featured image so it appears correctly in the main blog page feed.
- Assign an author. Attributing posts to actual people helps with adding a human element.
- Feel free to cooperate in blog creation with a colleague or team of peers to help make every post as good as it can be. Collaborative efforts can be very useful in a series of posts! We blogged about this recently here: Brainstorming is a Key Part of Awesome Content Marketing
- Push your posts through social networking sites like Twitter and Facebook to help get the word out. If you are posting more than once a day, we suggest one social update that highlights the multiple posts so as not to overwhelm the feed.
- Create a content calendar – Scheduling content for 4, 8, or even 12 weeks is recommended. In a perfect world, your blogging activity would result in no less than one post per week, with 2 – 3 posts per week your actual goal. However, if you can only do one, make sure to be consistent. This is key in establishing and maintaining search engine relevancy and readership.
At Volume Nine, we are committed to helping our clients get their sites to the greatest heights in terms of visibility and conversions. If you want to take your blog marketing strategy to the next level, let our team of digital marketing experts help guide your strategy and execution.